Saturday, April 22, 2023

Bike

 


It's a Purefix single speed with flip-flop hub (set to freewheel). 54cm frame. $250 new, $125 used from a guy who refurbished it very nicely.

I'm used to a 57cm, but I think I may actually like the 54cm better. I'm right on the height borderline between those two frame sizes being ideal, but I think once I adjust the seat height, etc. I'll find this more comfy.

It's also the far side from the direction I intended to go on tires. I preferred moving up from the 25mm on my last non-electric bike to 32mm, so that I could have Schrader valves instead of Presta. But this one is rocking 23mm Continental Dura-Skins. Pretty nice tires, with some wear left in them and new tubes. Other than the valve thing, I actually like nice narrow tires.

As you can see, I brought my lock, small bag (with pump, wrenches, etc.), and water bottle/bottle holder with me when I went to look at the bike, then mounted them before riding it eight miles home (I grabbed this photo during a water stop).

I can rob a cargo rack from another old bike frame, but I am going to need some stuff. I've added it to my Amazon Wish List in case anyone wants to help out before I get to all of it. In order of urgency:

  1. Presta to Schrader valve adapters. That way I can use a normal air pump (including a gas station hose) to air up the tires.
  2. Spare tubes, because sooner or later I will have a flat, and the only spare tubes I have right now are for the 26" Nakto.
  3. A front frame bag with phone pouch on top. I have a handlebar phone holder, but frankly those aren't very stable. And between this thing and the little triangle bag, I won't need to use the rear cargo rack/pannier bag(s) very often.
  4. Screw those little hand pumps that used to be the only resort when changing a flat in the middle of nowhere. Now you can get a USB rechargeable tiny compressor/pump to do the work for you. One of those "see how great capitalism is? We get Quarter Pounders with Cheese!" guys needs to do an essay on that.
Eight miles really isn't very far, but it wore me out. Electric has made me lazy. Guess it's time to fix that.

Update: See the strike-outs above. All three of the rear cargo racks I have require somewhere to attach to the frame in front of the rear tire (in addition to on either side of that wheel), and the bike has no pre-drilled holes for such attachments. That's not really a show-stopper of any kind. Between my small triangular tool bag and the little phone bag I removed from the wish list and ordered myself, that covers probably 90% of trips I'd be making. For the others, I'll either eventually buy a rack that works, or just use a backpack.

No comments: