Wednesday, July 29, 2026

The Tent Is On The Way, and Will Be Here Before My "Urgent" Medical Referral

I was hoping for a big bump in the price of Bitcoin, but with the Fed about to announce its next rate decision, I decided to go ahead and spend some on the tent I've been talking about:

Including taxes, etc., a little under $350, which is at least $250 less than I'd expected to spend. It should arrive by Monday, but at the moment I'm not expecting to set it up until after my specialist appointment over the whole "retinal hole superior temporal OS with pigment" thing.

Which is on October 22. Apparently "urgent referral" isn't as "urgent" as it sounds. Fortunately the hole is (according to the doctor who found it) small and unlikely to develop into retinal tear territory very quickly.

Why I'm planning to wait on setting up the tent:

  1. I'm just fine in my current camper-based "home office." The move is one of convenience/experimentation, not necessity;
  2. I'll want to set up the tent during a drier time frame. This is Florida, and this time of year it rains a lot, sometimes at unexpected moments. I don't want a windy thunderstorm just as I've got the thing laid out and am trying to get it up and anchored.
  3. I'm hoping to be able to build a deck for the tent to sit on. It's not strictly necessary, but since I'll use it daily I'd rather have wooden floor rather than soft sand under the ground sheet. I do intend to top the ground sheet with mats and rugs so that the floor remains warmer in winter and the ground sheet doesn't get torn by all my high-heels-wearing female visitors (just kidding -- or am I?). The deck will take time to build, whether I spring for nice lumber (very expensive) or track down enough nice, free or cheap, gapless-top pallets to fasten together for at least an 18'x'18' deck (the tent's diameter is 16.4' and I'll want an apron around it and possible a "porch" in front of it).
  4. I do want to get it up before the really cold weather (for this area -- I've only see it below 20 degrees Fahrenheit a couple of times, but we do get some freezes) hits, and have a plan developed for installing a wood stove, insulating the tent significantly, or both. I'd prefer easily removable insulation so that in warm weather I can just depend on breezes and electric fans to stay cool rather than needing to run an air conditioner (but I do have a portable air conditioner I can use if necessary).
I picked this particular model for a few reasons:

  1. It's made of cotton canvas, except for the ground sheet, which is 400D Oxford. I understand the former lasts longer in outdoor conditions than the latter. When I was in the Marine Corps I sometimes lived under canvas for months at a time. My small civilian camping tents have all been nylon. I like canvas much better, as long as I don't have to carry it around.
  2. Unlike typical "bell" tents, the sidewall is hexagonal rather than round, so there are flat wall surfaces, meaning that straight-backed desks, bookcases, and so forth don't waste space when placed against the wall. The side walls also seem to be nearly 5' in height so that a desk/chair set against the wall isn't crowded from above. I prefer the furnishings be along the walls rather than in the center, although if I want to get fancy I might see if it's feasible to VESA mount a TV to the center pole (unlikely -- I do my TV watching in the house, usually with Tamara).
  3. It seems to be identical in every way -- probably produced in the same factory and just branded by a different reseller -- to versions that were more expensive even when this one wasn't on sale for $130 off (the sale ends next week, which is why I wanted to get the deal done).

No comments: