Tuesday, February 06, 2024

F**king Copyright ...

I'm ready to move on from -- which is not anything like the same thing as having fully mastered -- Ludwig Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus to his Philosophical Investigations.

Since the former was published in 1921 (in German) and 1922 (in English), it's in the public domain and available cheaply (IIRC, I paid $1.99 for a Kindle edition).

Since the latter was published in 1953, it's still under copyright and costs $35-50 in dead treet format. While there are a number of guides, notes, introductions, etc. available in Kindle format, the book itself doesn't seem to be. And since I prefer to "read" philosophy by having my Echo Dot read it to me.

First World problem, I guess. But annoying. Maybe I'll renew my long-expired public library card if it's available there.

No comments: