Monday, August 24, 2026

Trump Just Motivated Me to a More Aggressive Tent Schedule

My plan for the 16.4' "tent as home office" project was, as of a day or two ago:
  • Have free-cheap pallets for the base/deck collected by the end of August;
  • Get a ground cloth down and get the pallets laid out, fastened together, leveled, etc., by mid-September;
  • In early October, cover the pallets with plywood;
  • In late October or early November (after the weather has become more routinely dry), get the tent set up, furnished, and in use.
But over the weekend, Trump announced a new tax increase on American buyers of Canadian goods. Lots of lumber sold in the US comes from Canada ... and even the prices of US-sourced lumber go up when it costs more to import lumber from Canada for two reasons (because they can, and because the supply of US-sourced lumber goes down vs. demand).

So I ordered the tarp and plywood this morning and both will arrive today. I'm going to try to get the pallets down and plywood on this week instead of just having a bunch of stuff lying around for weeks on end. Since I'll be that far already, if we have any decent dry spells next week I'll just go ahead and get the tent up and start moving the office over to it next week.

Thanks, Don.

No comments: