Saturday, August 08, 2026

One of the Weirdnesses of Deadheads ...

... is that every year, around the country, they "meet up at the movies" to watch a Grateful Dead concert from decades ago, in honor of Jerry Garcia's August 1 birthday (but for some reason this one ran a week late).

Naturally, Tamara wants to go every year, and I always have at least as much fun trying to figure out which of the old hippies attending might be the oldest as I do watching the show. One thing we've noticed a lot in recent years is that there are a lot of young Deadheads these days, which is cool.

This year it was their June 17, 1991 performance at Giants Stadium. Good concert, with Bruce Hornsby guesting on piano and accordion. It lacked the one song I really always want to hear in one of their recorded live performances -- "Me and My Uncle" -- but quite enjoyable.

Tamara saw them many times in the '80s and '90s. I wasn't at all into them until I met her, so the closest I came was when I purchased pay-per-view of the final "Fare Thee Well" show featuring the surviving members in 2015, on pay-per-view, as a "yay, you survived cancer" present for Tamara.

No comments: