Saturday, August 22, 2026

Applicable(?) Aphorisms #33

"Freedom is found in the choiceless awareness of daily life." (Jainism, Tattvartha Sutra 1.2)

True, false, good, bad, useful, not so useful, etc.? Discuss.

My thoughts:

According to a Google AI overview, the above aphorism does not come from the Tattvartha Sutra, buut rather from the modern writings of J. Krishnamurti. So there's that.

I've not read any significant amount of Krishnamurti's teachings, but on a quick gloss he seems to have largely defined "freedom" in terms of personal psychology -- you become "free" by examining your own fears and prejudices, and the conditioning that creates them, without trying to change them ("choiceless awareness").

I consider that whole line of thinking absurd, I understand the conditioning that led me to that position (it came from Ayn Rand and Nathaniel Branden, Harry Browne, et al.), and I'm not going to try to change it ... so I guess I'm Krishnamurti-ish in that way, anyway ;-)

No comments: