Friday, September 04, 2026

The Research Has Begun (Motorcycle Bleg)

I am now at "seriously looking for the forever (or at least 10-year) motorcycle" stage. As in quite possibly buying in the next week or two.

Pursuant to that, I dropped in at my local Harley-Davidson dealership today.

Not because I'm thinking "buy a Harley," but because dealerships often have other brands in used/trade-in stock, and I was hoping to find a Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 or Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 at an attractive price.

No such luck. I was shown Harleys, and the showing made me about halfway a believer.

The halfway I achieved: I discovered that they do make a very nice bike with mid-mounted foot pegs instead of the forward cruiser style. It's called the Street Bob.  Seeing and sitting on two very much made me interested.

The halfway I didn't achieve: The best deal they had on a Street Bob was about $10k for a 2013 trade-in, which is more than I anticipate spending; and while I discovered that a very large bike isn't as heavy to wrestle around as I expected, I still don't want a 1200+ cc engine. So that's probably not going to happen.

What I'm looking for in my "forever bike" is:

  • Reliability. Not only actual reliability, but the feeling of reliability. As nicely priced as Chinese bikes are, I'm just terribly skeptical of having one cover 600 miles in a day without something breaking. I want a bike that, if I happen to wake up tomorrow and decide it's been too long since I saw the Rockies, I will, deep in my heart, expect the bike to survive the trip. To me, that means a 400cc+ engine on a bike made by Harley-Davidson, Royal Enfield, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati, KMT, maybe a handful of others.
  • The ability to cruise comfortably at 70 miles per hour on the freeway (with actual top speed as close to 100 mph as possible).
  • The ability to handle well and to not fall apart on Florida's "three foot deep sugar sand interspersed with two foot deep ruts" back roads.
  • Upright rider stance.
  • Minimal gizmos and farkles and stuff. If it was up to me I'd have an analog speedo, tach, and gas gauge, a throttle cable rather than throttle by wire, etc.  That's too much to ask the last few years, but I do not need a 32" touch screen and five "ride modes" and all that stuff and want as little of it as possible.
  • The ability to comfortably carry at least some luggage. I pack light and I don't want a bagger, but for long trips I'd probably run a top box and saddlebags or side boxes.
  • I'd prefer alloy wheels but if the rest of the bike is right, I'm OK with spokes.
  • As mentioned above, I don't want a big engine and a heavier than necessary bike. I'm not getting any younger and I don't expect to get a lot stronger. My contemplated range is 400cc to 650cc, although I might go a little higher for the right bike.
  • Related to the "reliability" part -- a bike that local shops will work on. I've done repairs and modifications on my small, cheap bikes but I am not a mechanic and will have the "forever" bike serviced by professionals for anything more complicated than an oil change.
  • And related to that part, I intend to leave the bike stock/factory instead of trying to soup it up, because I intend to get a bike that does what I need with stock/factory specs.

So, considering all of those things, my main candidates are the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450, Guerilla 450, or Interceptor 650 or the Kawasaki KLR-650 or Eliminator 451. Those aren't the only bikes I'll consider, but they're the ones best tracking what I'm looking for and what I'm willing to pay (these are all sub-$8000 bikes new "out the door").

Anyone here have experiences with any of these bikes, or others in the "roadster" or "adventure touring" vein? I'm looking for recommendations (while really, really eyeballing a Himalayan for sale in Tallahassee).

No comments: