Friday, September 25, 2026

Motorcycle Accessories/Gear On The Way ...

... because any new motorcycle needs some new stuff, and any motorcycle rider moving into a larger engine class should consider some gear improvements.

  • Arriving today from China: A magnetic tank bag and an embroidered keychain with the bike's name ("Lena Mae") on it (I keep a separate, labeled keychain for each bike).
  • Arriving soon from China: Mirror extenders and a little six-piece socket tool to supplement the bike's factory tool kit. Also, some stickers for the top case because I'm cool like that.
  • Arriving tomorrow from Amazon: Motorcycle boots and a radiator protector.
I generally wear boots when riding, but haven't previously purchased boots specifically made for riding, and that's going to matter if I hit the pavement with a 400-pound motorcycle on top of me while moving at 60 mph (or any mph). I found a pair (Italian-sounding name, but of course Chinese in actual origin) on Amazon for $50 that are CE certified and EN 13634:2017 rated as 1-2-2-1. Those last four numbers signify abrasion resistance, impact cut resistance, transverse sole rigidity, and sole delamination resistance. "1" is basic, "2" is better.

As for the radiator protector, I was a little iffy on it, but after looking at the radiator at less than 200 miles, it looks like it really gets quite a bit of mud splash from the front wheel, so it's worth the $30 investment. It also looks great:


So far, the one really annoying thing about the Kawasaki Eliminator 450 is something I knew before I got it because it was mentioned in literally every video review I watched: The mirrors don't stretch out far enough on either side to really be useable by any person of normal shoulder width. You look in the mirror, you see your shoulder unless you twist your body halfway around to get your shoulder out of the way. Extenders are cheap, so I'm trying them first, but I may eventually just go to bar-end mirrors.

No comments: