Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Concerning WhyNotGaryJohnson.com

Well, the campaign for the Libertarian Party's 2016 presidential nomination is over and the nominees are Gary Johnson for president and William Weld for vice-president.

I believe that a vote on the national convention floor comes with certain obligations. Energetically supporting the ticket is not one of those obligations -- you're either enthusiastic or you aren't. However, not actively opposing the ticket, unless some unusual and extreme situation arises which requires one to do so, is one of those obligations.

So, I've taken down the anti-Johnson/Weld site I created at whynotgaryjohnson.com and replaced it with a parking page (at least I've told Namecheap to do that ... it doesn't seem to have propagated yet).

The domain is listed for sale in Namecheap's marketplace for $500 -- but I've also contacted a friend with the campaign. If the campaign wants it, they get it for whatever the cost of transferring it comes to: Ten bucks or so. It seems like it would be a pretty cool URL that they might want to use for something.

All in all, I thought the site was a fairly good little operation -- five pages of bullet points explaining why Johnson shouldn't be the nominee. I publicized it by scattering otherwise unmarked QR codes all over the national convention site. I hope it played a role in denying Johnson and Weld first-ballot victories. As close as they came, I think maybe it did contribute to that.

But now it's time to move on.

No comments: