Saturday, April 02, 2005

Look for the union label


I really dig my new role as FMNN's House Pinko. One of the issues I'll be exploring in an upcoming column there -- as I did a few years ago at Liberty for All -- is unionism.

I grew up in a union household -- my father's a retired Teamster. I was a UFCW factory worker (and steward, and member of various bargaining unit committees) for six years myself. And while I've had a bit of a love-hate relationship with unions, I've generally found that the "hate" element comes in when the state gets involved.

Oddly enough, although the Libertarian Party's platform could hardly be called anti-union, and although some of the LP's most respected activists have been union activists as well, I noted a fairly pervasive anti-union sentiment in the LP.

More details in the aforementioned, upcoming column. For now, just a note: If you look in the right hand column, you'll find a "bug" which indicates that Knappster is now a "union shop." After much consideration, I've concluded that a left-libertarian anarchist Democrat (whoo, the string of appellations grows -- pretty soon, I'll be my own grandpa), especially one working as a House Pinko, really needs credentials. I eagerly await the arrival of my IWW card in the mail.

FMNN writers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your columns!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Three Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide
Some graphics and styles ported from a previous theme by Jenny Giannopoulou