Saturday, April 02, 2005

Look for the union label

I really dig my new role as FMNN's House Pinko. One of the issues I'll be exploring in an upcoming column there -- as I did a few years ago at Liberty for All -- is unionism.

I grew up in a union household -- my father's a retired Teamster. I was a UFCW factory worker (and steward, and member of various bargaining unit committees) for six years myself. And while I've had a bit of a love-hate relationship with unions, I've generally found that the "hate" element comes in when the state gets involved.

Oddly enough, although the Libertarian Party's platform could hardly be called anti-union, and although some of the LP's most respected activists have been union activists as well, I noted a fairly pervasive anti-union sentiment in the LP.

More details in the aforementioned, upcoming column. For now, just a note: If you look in the right hand column, you'll find a "bug" which indicates that Knappster is now a "union shop." After much consideration, I've concluded that a left-libertarian anarchist Democrat (whoo, the string of appellations grows -- pretty soon, I'll be my own grandpa), especially one working as a House Pinko, really needs credentials. I eagerly await the arrival of my IWW card in the mail.

FMNN writers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your columns!

No comments: