Thursday, June 07, 2012

I Disagree, Judge Napolitano


Former judge Andrew Napolitano, writing today in Reason:


For the past few weeks, I have been writing in this column about the government's use of drones and challenging their constitutionality on Fox News Channel where I work. I once asked on air what Thomas Jefferson would have done if -- had drones existed at the time -- King George III had sent drones to peer inside the bedroom windows of Monticello. I suspect that Jefferson and his household would have trained their muskets on the drones and taken them down. I offer this historical anachronism as a hypothetical only, not as one who is urging the use of violence against the government.

Since he won't go past the hypothetical, I will:

I strongly urge anyone and everyone with the desire and wherewithal to do whatever it takes to make it impossible -- or at least hellaciously expensive -- to keep military or police drone aircraft in flight over any US city.

Given reports of e.g. Pakistani Taliban insurgents wiretapping drone video feeds, the Iranian military downing and capturing a drone without shooting it down, etc., I have to suspect that relatively simple (as such things go) solutions, utilizing off-the-shelf technology, are available and either already documented or awaiting discovery. I suspect Anonymous/LulzSec/AntiSec/whatever they're calling themselves lately can help out on the informational end.

Jam or spoof their signals. Lase or flare their optics. Heck, maybe even fly radio-controlled "toy" aircraft -- carrying payloads of black powder and ball-bearings, perhaps -- into them.

Whatever it takes.

This one should be a hard "do not cross or we will fuck you up" line.

Hmmm ... wait ... in my Zemanta "related articles" feed, I see that Napolitano himself has already said as much. Huzzah!
Enhanced by Zemanta

blog comments powered by Disqus
Three Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide
Some graphics and styles ported from a previous theme by Jenny Giannopoulou