Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2026

Applicable(?) Aphorisms #32

"Let all things be exactly as they are." (Shinto, Kojiki Tradition)

True, false, good, bad, useful, not so useful, etc.? Discuss.

My thoughts:

It's difficult to separate Shinto per se from its early 20th century use by the early 20th century Japanese empire to produce a highly regimented population and unquestioning obedience to its regime. And, like some other religions, it seems very well-suited to that purpose.

So, while it's easy to come up with a "live in harmony with nature, don't sweat the things you can't change," etc. use of the saying, I tend to couple it with a "do as you're told, no need to overthink it" vibe.

I also find it contrary to human nature. People create. People innovate. People build. And in doing so, we change how things are. So I'm more partial to Winnifred Wygal's early version of the "Serenity Prayer":

Oh, God, give us courage to change what must be altered, serenity to accept what can not be helped, and insight to know the one from the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment