Wednesday, July 13, 2016

I Wish This Was a Thing

For years, I thought it odd that US television programs would air at (for example) 10pm Eastern Time, 9pm Central Time, 8pm Mountain Time (all of those are actually the same time, of course) ... but 10pm Pacific Time. Why should the Californians, Oregonians and Washingtonians get a weird break like that? If they want to watch Good Morning America (which airs at the same time in all US times zones, live in Eastern, tape-delayed elsewhere), they should get up at 4am their time or go pound sand.

But now I find that I really wish I could do that kind of thing with tweets. I don't worry that much about my own social media scheduling -- if I post something at 2am my heart won't be broken if you miss it -- but I do some of that stuff for others.

If I schedule a tweet to hit at, say, 9:15am in New York (right when the white collar stampede is about settled in for a day at the desk), it's hitting at 6:15am in Los Angeles. I wouldn't put it beyond Californians to be up at 6:15am, but if they are they are probably running a 5k after an hour of transcendental meditation and right before having organic yogurt with Fair Trade coffee for breakfast or some shit. But if I schedule the tweet for white-collar desk-time in LA, that's lunch break in New York. And so on and so forth.

So I think it would be nice if there was an option to use all that geolocation crap, enter your time zone crap, etc. to make it possible for me to tweet and have it reach people in Miami at 11am and people in Seattle at 11am, both local time.

No comments: