Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Three Posts You Should Read ...

... from the folks at Downsize DC:



I'm not interested in offering a detailed critique of the proposal. My quick rating of where they're going here is "good start."

If I have a quibble with it at all, it's that I don't think most people need to "withdraw allegiance" from the US government, because most people have never voluntarily and explicitly rendered "allegiance" in the first place. As the Downsize DC  folks point out elsewhere in their evolving campaigns, silence does not constitute consent, let alone "allegiance."

As for myself, I did in fact explicitly offer/render allegiance to the US government at one time (oath of enlistment, US Marine Corps). That contract expired a long time ago, and I explicitly withdrew any allegiance to any government some time after that, somewhat more extensively than called for in this campaign (apropos of which, check out my latest at the Center for a Stateless Society). But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

No comments: