Monday, January 02, 2012

New Sync Option: SugarSync

I don't think I'll ever stop singing the praises of Dropbox, my go-to sync application. If you don't have it, get it.

But, Dropbox isn't the only sync option out there. I'm trying out SugarSync right now, and it seems to work well. I'll never give up my Dropbox, but having more storage space and more backup redundancy can't hurt, right?

Same basic principle: Any files you save in designated folders on your hard drive are automagically backed up online and ported to analogous folders on all other computers that you register with the service.

So if, for example, you're working on a document on your desktop (and save it in your SugarSync folder), you can get up, walk out the door with your laptop bag, and have that document available as soon as you start your machine elsewhere ... instead of having to email it to yourself, burn it to a CD, save it on a thumb drive, whatever.

And, of course, if one of your hard drives takes a dirt nap and has to be replaced, getting your important files back is as simple as setting up SugarSync on the new drive. Got a new computer? Same deal (I used Dropbox to pretty much instantly port a bunch of my files from the old Mac to the new Mac; easy peasy).

SugarSync gives you five gigabytes free, and more for referring new users (ahem). Paid plans available for those of you with really big data sync needs.

No comments: