Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Let Us Now Praise Rick Perry

Reiterated: I no longer vote. If I voted, I wouldn't vote Republican.

Revised and extended: If I voted Republican, I wouldn't vote for Rick Perry.

That said and re-said, I do find it encouraging that a "top-tier" candidate for president of the United States has now publicly described Social Security as a Ponzi scheme without falling from the "top tier" on account of that description.

It's one thing to privately surmise that politics' third rail may have blown its fuse. It's quite another to publicly test that theory by dancing on the rail. That there takes some balls. So, good on Rick Perry.

As a side note, I've been arguing with those who assert that Social Security isn't a Ponzi scheme, and I have to reluctantly concede the point. Social Security differs from a Ponzi scheme in one significant respect:

A Ponzi scheme generally collapses just as soon as its actual and prospective investors begin to realize they're being defrauded. Since Social Security's "investment" mechanism is contribution at gunpoint, it's been able to grind on well past that point.

No comments: