Tuesday, July 05, 2011

In which I violate the alleged Supreme Law of the Land

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. -- 14th Amendment

Not only do I question its validity, I deny its validity, at least insofar as it implies any claim that the word "public" obligates me in any way.

At no point have I authorized the Congress of the United States to borrow money in my name or on my behalf. Nor have I at any time co-signed said loans, guaranteed said loans, or agreed to repay any portion of said loans.

If the (occasionally rotating/shifting) group of 537 persons composing the US House of Representatives, the US Senate, the Vice President of the United States and the President of the United States want to repay the debts they've incurred (or intend to incur if they can get their act together), hey, that's just peachy (as long as they do so from their personal wealth, rather than through some kind of program of organized theft).

If they want to default on it instead, that's between them and their creditors.

Maybe they can negotiate some kind of settlement.

That, however, is up to them. If Harry Reid, John Boehner et. al borrowed more than they can repay, poor them. If their creditors were naive or too optimistically avaricious in their speculations, tough shit. Not my problem.

This is my nth notice to both groups that I'm neither party to, nor do I consent to become party to, the matter (note to those who believe that I have no choice in the matter: Check your premises).

No comments: