Saturday, March 12, 2011

Seconded

The fact that Manning's abusive mistreatment is going on at Quantico -- where I spent nine months as a Marine officer in basic school -- and that Marines are lying about it, makes me feel ashamed for the Corps.

That's Daniel Ellsberg, in the Guardian.

Unlike Ellsberg, I only spent a few weeks at Quantico (for marksmanship instructor school), but I agree: The Marine Corps's involvement in this affair is a stain on its honor.

Knowing my readership as I do, I'm sure that some of you don't believe there is, or can be, any honor in service (possibly especially military service) to the state to begin with.

I disagree, and that's a conversation that we've had before and can have again, but that I'm not particularly interested in having here, about this. Suffice it to say that I can't imagine most of the Marines I served with countenancing this kind of evil.

No comments: